Cave Man Muesli
- 1 cup activated raw almonds
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup sweet potato puree (or pumpkin)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- pinch of celtic sea salt
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Preparation time 5 min
- Cooking time 20-25 min
- Makes enough to approximately fill a 2L jar
- Preheat oven to 160ºC for a fan forced oven.
- Add the dry ingredients and give it a quick blitz (speed 5, 2 seconds in a thermomix). Or pulse chop in a food processor or high powered blender.
- Add puree, spices, slat and maple syrup. Mix on reverse speed 3, 5-10 s until just clumped. Or pulse in a food processor or high powered blender. You could even mix by hand in a bowl.
- When I make a roast, I quite often roast extra vegetables like pumpkin or sweet potato and mash into a puree. You can store in the fridge (3 days) or freezer (3 months) until ready to use. If you haven’t made the puree in advance, just steam it quickly in the microwave or on the stove before mashing.
- Tip the mixture onto a large baking tray lined with unbleached baking paper. Spread it out into a thin layer.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, until a dark golden colour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely on the baking tray. Once cool you can break into clumps and store in an airtight container for 3 months.
- Tastes great with fresh fruit and your choice of milk or yogurt for breakfast. Also nice as a topping on stewed fruit for dessert or “icecream”.